General Discussion about a little of everything

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Postby Emory Douglas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 pm

I just bought a jr dragster for my grandson and we know nothing about them or the rules for them.He's 6 and I assume he has to run 20 seconds or more? I'm thinking of replaacing the 17/84 sprockets with a 10/96 set to slow it down.Not even sure what make it is.It does have a cant to the front axle(one wheel slightly ahead of the other) At first thought it was bent of something but I see it's welded that way once the body was off.Maybe a clue to the make? Couldn't pass it up for $1500! I'll try to get some pics of it posted.Just looking for any information as I can on the car and getting him started.Won't be until next spring at this point...Thanks for any feedback in advance!
Emory Douglas

Re: Newbie

Postby jtracr » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:18 am

Hello and welcome.
If you are going to run NHRA go on their website and read thru the rule book from cover to cover. As for a 6yo they are allowed to run 13.90 BUT that doesn't mean you have to, start off slow. My littlest started at 6 and we ran 20sec + for 10 or so passes and then slowly went faster.

This really is a great sport for the kids. Make sure to start off slow and as always Safety First. Find a track that is Junior friendly to do your licensing and take single passes until they are ready to run someone that works out best. Just curious what area are you from? Good luck and have fun.
Team "sibling Rivalry"
Samie Retired
Justin JC 7924
Stephanie Retired
NOW RACERS!
Caden 7924
Carlie 7927
Lucas oil team
jtracr

Postby Emory Douglas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks for the info.I've looked the NHRA rule book over but the criteria seems to differ somewhat from track to track.We're from Central NY, just south of Syracuse and the ESTA Safety Park.The guy I bought this from had little knowledge of it as far as make of the chassis,engine,or anything else.He had bought it for his son a few years back and made one pass then decided he wanted a dirt bike.Lucky for us! Don't think I got "hurt" too bad in the deal! Anyway here's some pics if anyone can identify the builder or info on the motor,etc... thanks! ok...doesn't look like the pics are going to upload. Can someone give me some info on doing it??
Emory Douglas

Postby Pool Man » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 am

Welcome to the site and the sport. You will find it one of the most humbling, most rewarding and the most fun you will ever have with your child/grandchild.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby poissant » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 am

Emory welcome to the baord and the sport. The staggered front wheels allow more rollout when your driver hits the gas at the green. This is very common in chassis design. as for posting pictures you can "uipload" pictures to the site. Youe need to have them hosted someone(on a photo sight) and then link to the pictures. Wild Bill has a pretty good tutorial on how to do this on the below link.

http://www.jrdragsterplus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8859
Gary LeBoeuf
LeBoeuf Motorsports
SC 4200,4300
poissant

Postby WILD BILL » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Welcome to the POOL.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if doing the gear swap you stated actually ed made the car faster rather then slow it down. It's been my experience that putting more gear in them speeds up the 60" times and thus the faster ET. Taking gear away usually slows the 60" and thus the slows the entire runs ET.

Also, going to a 960 ratio will probably cause the engine RPM to climb into a dangerous zone so if you do go that route keep a very close eye on that. If you don't have a data recorder that will down load to a PC I wouldn't suggest it at all.

There are many other ways to limit and slow these cars that are much more reliable and safe for your motor.

WILD RACING

Taylor 00 Bos #3411 "WILD THING" Retired
Kaitlin 10 Half Scale #3251 "WILD CHILD" 2012 SMP Novice Champion
WILD BILL

Postby BlueLineRacing » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:53 am

Emory Douglas wrote:I just bought a jr dragster for my grandson and we know nothing about them or the rules for them.He's 6 and I assume he has to run 20 seconds or more? I'm thinking of replaacing the 17/84 sprockets with a 10/96 set to slow it down.Not even sure what make it is.It does have a cant to the front axle(one wheel slightly ahead of the other) At first thought it was bent of something but I see it's welded that way once the body was off.Maybe a clue to the make? Couldn't pass it up for $1500! I'll try to get some pics of it posted.Just looking for any information as I can on the car and getting him started.Won't be until next spring at this point...Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Welcome to Jr. Drag Racing!! We just finished our third season running the L0206 motor. My son, Matthew started as a 5yo running the 20.00 index and then moved to 13.90 for 2016 and 2017. We compete in the Midwest Jr. Super Series as well as the E.T. Bracket Series at Gateway Motorsports. Matthew finished 4th overall in points in 2016 and won the 13.90 Index Championship this year. We won 5 major events in 13.90 Index, 1 event in 6-9 YO age group with a runner up, and had a Runner Up in the 6-12yo Jr. Thunder Class at Gateway. When we started we had zero experience in racing but through a LOT of research and assistance from some great friends along the way, we were able to be Very Successful running the 206. I would be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have regarding the motor and racing in this Index. Feel free to look us up on Facebook at Matthew "The Flash" Taylor and on Twitter @MatthewtheFlash. You can message me here on Jr. Dragster Plus or contact me through either of those social media outlets. Looking forward to hearing from you and Welcome to the Pool!!

Sincerely,

Joshua Taylor
Taylor Racing Team
St. Charles, MO

https://www.facebook.com/Matthew-The-Fl ... 658957769/
BlueLineRacing

Postby rsnell001 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:13 pm

We also run at ESTA, its a great track with some great people and very Jr friendly. If your at the track and need any help look us up My daughter drives the Kandy Kane II car, we love to help out. Its only our third year and very first year running for points but pulled off a track championship with the help of alot of research and some trial and error. Good luck and most of all make sure to have fun doing it.
rsnell001

Return to Discussion Board