LO 206 Purchase

General Discussion about a little of everything

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

LO 206 Purchase

Postby MWracing4 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:01 am

New here and to Jr. Dragsters, heck, new to drag racing all together. Sorry for this seemingly stupid question, but I did a search here and cannot find what I was looking for. I'm in search of a LO206 that I believe we will run the next 2 years on. I understand it's a "sealed" engine as we are coming from circle track racing with Karts, but i keep seeing/hearing that there is some tuning that can be done. I've watched the Briggs videos and got that, but I would like to get an idea from those with wisdom and experience. Is it better to order a 206 and tune it myself as best I can and just run it, or order one from a builder that has the optimal tuning and pipe? The car I bought has the clutch for a 206, but he says the engine is done and I would need to get a newer one. Any and all info or opinions is appreciated. AND, I apologize if you guys have already answered this question thousands of times. Much Appreciated though!

BTW, we are located in SC
MWracing4

Re: LO 206 Purchase

Postby Pool Man » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:17 am

I do not know enough about the L206 engine to answer your question. There are others that can do that. I did however want to welcome you to the site. No need to apologize for any questions on here. Trust me we ALL have been new to this at some point and had questions. WELCOME TO THE SITE.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby WILD BILL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Ron hit it on the head, There are no dumb questions and welcome to the POOL. smiley-wave

I never used the 206 myself so I can't speak to tuning but I dare say if you were to go that route, getting one form one of the site sponsors would be the way I would do it.

That said, do you have an idea on what engine is on the car and why the previous owner said it was "done" and you would need a new one?

9 times out of ten these engine can be rebuilt and run again.
WILD RACING

Taylor 00 Bos #3411 "WILD THING" Retired
Kaitlin 10 Half Scale #3251 "WILD CHILD" 2012 SMP Novice Champion
WILD BILL

Postby Ten5TireDad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Like the others have said the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask.
Bill is correct they can be rebuilt, but the catch is you must have the cable and holographic tag attached for it to be considered "sealed". That's where it becomes not worth the price because it has to go back to an authorized center for the rebuild because they will install a new tag. You can buy "sealed short blocks and just reuse everything that you already have depending on what is actually wrong with it. They are very cheap for a complete assembled bottom end.
The only tuning according to the rule book is an air filter and exhaust pipe. Anything else is not allowed. Take that however you like. We ran a stock 6,100rpm coil, and a non modified black slide with it, and it ran really well. We tried all different types of gas in it to see what effects weather and head temperature had on it, but other than that it was exactly how it came out of the box.
Find out what's broken or worn on the engine you have, and weigh out your options. If you are set on just replacing it call Craw's. The customer service and help after the sale is totally incredible. You'll never go wrong with Fred, Al and the crew.
Ten5TireDad

Postby BlueLineRacing » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 am

Hello!! Welcome to Jr. Drag Racing!! We just finished our third season running the L0206 motor. My son, Matthew started as a 5yo running the 20.00 index and then moved to 13.90 for 2016 and 2017. We compete in the Midwest Jr. Super Series as well as the E.T. Bracket Series at Gateway Motorsports. Matthew finished 4th overall in points in 2016 and won the 13.90 Index Championship this year. We won 5 major events in 13.90 Index, 1 event in 6-9 YO age group with a runner up, and had a Runner Up in the 6-12yo Jr. Thunder Class at Gateway. When we started we had zero experience in racing but through a LOT of research and assistance from some great friends along the way, we were able to be Very Successful running the 206. I would be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have regarding the motor and racing in this Index. Feel free to look us up on Facebook at Matthew "The Flash" Taylor and on Twitter @MatthewtheFlash. You can message me here on Jr. Dragster Plus or contact me through either of those social media outlets. Looking forward to hearing from you and Welcome to the Pool!!

Sincerely,

Joshua Taylor
Taylor Racing Team
St. Charles, MO

https://www.facebook.com/Matthew-The-Fl ... 658957769/

MWracing4 wrote:New here and to Jr. Dragsters, heck, new to drag racing all together. Sorry for this seemingly stupid question, but I did a search here and cannot find what I was looking for. I'm in search of a LO206 that I believe we will run the next 2 years on. I understand it's a "sealed" engine as we are coming from circle track racing with Karts, but i keep seeing/hearing that there is some tuning that can be done. I've watched the Briggs videos and got that, but I would like to get an idea from those with wisdom and experience. Is it better to order a 206 and tune it myself as best I can and just run it, or order one from a builder that has the optimal tuning and pipe? The car I bought has the clutch for a 206, but he says the engine is done and I would need to get a newer one. Any and all info or opinions is appreciated. AND, I apologize if you guys have already answered this question thousands of times. Much Appreciated though!

BTW, we are located in SC
BlueLineRacing

Postby MWracing4 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for the welcoming guys! I must say that the drag racing world is much different and more helpful than the circle track world! I misunderstood the gentleman I purchase the car from about him running a 206. He ran a predator for a while then moved over to a Briggs style. However, we think maybe the clutch for the predator will work on the 206. I found a 206 that was near new from my circle track engine builder and we worked out a deal since it seems all the 206's are the "same". Again, thanks, and I'll be doing a lot more research on here and asking more questions!
MWracing4

Postby MWracing4 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:11 pm

So, still waiting on my LO206. However, I picked the car up and included was a Polar clutch. My question is will this work for the 206? I've read that I don't need an OD, but how do I know if this is that type of clutch? Any help?
MWracing4

Postby BlueLineRacing » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:16 am

MWracing4 wrote:So, still waiting on my LO206. However, I picked the car up and included was a Polar clutch. My question is will this work for the 206? I've read that I don't need an OD, but how do I know if this is that type of clutch? Any help?

yes, we use a polar. what are your ramps, weight, springs and helix?
BlueLineRacing

Return to Discussion Board