second thoughts

General Discussion about a little of everything

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

second thoughts

Postby jr drag dad » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 am

I use to think a tethered helmet support was a little silly and overkill but With the tragic death of a sweet 8 year old has anyone started thinking about purchasing a necksgen or hans for there jr driver???
jr drag dad

Re: second thoughts

Postby Pool Man » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 am

I honestly think it is a great investment on safety. With as much weight as the helmets add along with just the weight of the head that is a tremendous amount of weight pulling on the spine if there were to be a frontal crash. I know in our big car we use both a neck collar and head restraint.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby mrhockey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:44 pm

I kind of felt the same way but as a Necksgen and DJ Safety dealer we will have one for sure this coming season as well as maybe some more changes. There isn't much margin for mark up but if there is anything I can do I will for the pool here. Can give free shipping for sure to the lower 48.
http://www.marschanmotorsports.com
Dealer for:
DJ Safety
NecksGen
ISP
mrhockey

Postby jr drag dad » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:14 pm

DJ Safety rocks,,,,,,,,, We buy all our safety gear from Ben Conant and he takes care of us ,,,,,,,,,, Gonna be running a 3rd car this coming season............ Guess I'm a gluten for punishment,,, Lol
jr drag dad

Postby simoncope » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 am

Alanah has been using a necksgen for nearly 5 years now, I believe we were the first in Australia to use one. Not only safer than a collar but better visibility as well.
simoncope

Postby WOLFRACING » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 am

simoncope wrote:Alanah has been using a necksgen for nearly 5 years now, I believe we were the first in Australia to use one. Not only safer than a collar but better visibility as well.

Can you elaborate on the better visibility? My son and I can both turn our heads about as far as they will go without a collar, while wearing a collar.
WOLFRACING

Postby simoncope » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 am

WOLFRACING wrote:
simoncope wrote:Alanah has been using a necksgen for nearly 5 years now, I believe we were the first in Australia to use one. Not only safer than a collar but better visibility as well.

Can you elaborate on the better visibility? My son and I can both turn our heads about as far as they will go without a collar, while wearing a collar.

Sure. Feedback from Alanah was that she found it easier & more freedom to look around with the necksgen on than a collar. YMMV.
simoncope

Postby mrhockey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Keep in mind that if your son or daughter is moving up to a big car with 3" wide belts and can wear a medium size or for some reason a large, which is huge, those devices are wide enough to accept the 3" wide belts but also accommodate and function as designed with a junior dragster standard 2" wide belt. Also remember as per NHRA rules, if that is your sanctioning body and you elect to wear a device but not a neck collar along with the device then a head sock must be worn. Hope this helps in advance and let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing these or any other safety gear for next season.
http://www.marschanmotorsports.com
Dealer for:
DJ Safety
NecksGen
ISP
mrhockey

Postby RickSE » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm

We have a Simpson Hybrid & NecksGen & can't get the Hybrid to work in the Jr. The belt placement is too tight at the back of the seat to get around the Hybrid collar. NecksGen works just fine.
RickSE

Postby BlueLineRacing » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 pm

So, have we heard how and why the accident actually occurred and how her injuries were as significant as they were to cause her death?
BlueLineRacing

Postby JustDoug » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:45 am

BlueLineRacing,
The matter is still before the coroner. We have a race meet this weekend however Juniors are not allowed to race.
These processes take time with things like this.
Rest assured the outcome will be available to everyone to ensure that we continue to race as safely as possible.

The service was last Friday and was truly a beautiful event - lots of people turned out to support the family and each other and gave Anita a wonderful send off
JustDoug

Postby Pool Man » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 am

No doubt it will be investigated to the fullest. Australia has a great racing program and takes safety very seriously.
Pool Man

Postby ASM » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Head and neck restraint is a must. You’re putting 6 lbs or more on your child’s head and sending him/her 60-84 mph.

Here are a few things to consider for new jr parents:

An sfi rated suit (3.2a/5 suggested, 32.a/1 min) and properly fit helmet with nomex liner. Non fire retardant helmet lining can melt and stick to the skin causing severe burns. Arm restraints properly fitted.

Roll bar, seat padding or head supports should be sfi 45.1 for maximum protection. We run head supports just like the fuel cars. I have had the conversation on this forum many times about visibility issues with head support system but simple adjustments fix the problem. Master Blaster is not correct roll bar or seat padding. It has zero sfi rating and can actually accelerate your child’s movement on secondary impact.

Your child also needs to fit the car. A big seat and a small child even with tight belts could be an issue. Belt location should be located directly level with the child shoulders. There should be no room to allow moving upward or pulling down on the driver. Upward allows head impact with the top of the cage and neck compression and pulling downward can compress the spine on impact.
Steering wheel shaft should have a stop on it with breakaway section as not to allow it to come back and hit the driver. Most new cars already have those built in.
Windshield should be located as to deflect debris over the car.

Car should be equipped with a scatter shield, belt, and chain guard. Some local tracks for some reason think these are optional. I saw 4 cars at an IHRA bracket final with no belt and or chain guards and said something and was instantly the bad guy for saying something. It is not only a safety issue for your child but also the child in the other lane.

I think so many times local tracks leave safety up to the parent. There should be no better check on safety than a parent and most parents are very safety conscious. Unfortunately, anyone who has been jr racing for a good while has seen the drivers who don’t buckle their helmets, leave belts lose, have kids hanging out of cars looking back at 500 feet or lack the proper equipment. No one believes a jr is going to crash, but it does happen. We can't stop accidents but we can do our best to protect our drivers if and when.
ASM

Postby Pool Man » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:58 am

Safety has always been a pet peeve of mine as well. I have on occasion been the bad guy as well. Some folks just need a reminder sometime.
Pool Man

Return to Discussion Board