I sometimes feel like such a newb!!!! :)

General Discussion

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

I sometimes feel like such a newb!!!! :)

Postby poissant » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 am

Well this weekend was the last points race @ State Capitol Raceway, it was also there annual IronMan race where all winners receives an IHRA Ironman trophy. This is also going to be out last race of the year as our local tracks are winding down for the holiday(S) break. We got there and it appeared that we had a reallly good turnout on cars. We unloaded and started to get prepared, put fuel in car to warm it up and noticed that the cap was missing on one of the fuel outlets. Fuel would spew out as the car rocked. So we scrounged around the pits as we didn't have an extra #8 cap(last time that will happen ;) ). Finally got that problem solved and then went up for time trials Jules did his burnout as usual and then i noticed the car sputtering, a couple of puffs of black smoke comes out the headers and the car dies, won't start ....appeared to be to be flooded. Push the car back, almost losing my shoes on the sticky track and then made the long tow back to the trailer. Started the car back up in the pits and had Jules drive it around , everything looked ok. So we hustled back up to the lanes to catch the back end of Super Pro time trials and did our burnout and then the same thing happened......sighhhh..... towed it back and after a few minutes car started up again and purred like a kitten. We also checked to make sure we didn't have a float and needle problem with the carb, everything looked fine. I thought to myself that maybe Jules was having a little learning curve issue. So we chatted with a friend that has been racing for years and he had Jules go thru his burnout routine. Is seems that coming out of his burnout, Jules was getting off the gas and braking pretty quickly and then when the car sputtered he started pumping the gas. Our friend told him he was probably flooding out the car. He told Jules sometimes when coming out of a burnout on a heavy fuel load, there may be excess fuel in the carb causing the sputter. He told Jules he may want to try coming out of the burnout, pop it into neutral and then coast and depress the gas a little, not pump it as that will pour gas into the carb. So we go up for our second time trial, Jules does his burnout and then doing what our friend told him to try seemed to work just fine, no sputter...no problems......yet..... :) Jules pulls up to stage, first light...second light...then the car backs out the beam on the stage light. Thankfully we had a patient starter and a friendly opponite so both cars back out re-staged and then our car backs out the beam again. Starter tells Jules to just go in, he does and ran a 5.25, a good normal pass for us. Again we come back chatted with our friend and he says when Jules is on the transbrake it should not be backing out the beam so we checked the transbrake and found it needed to be adjusted a little. So we go up for first round dialed a 5.23, our opponite dialed a 5.25 almost a heads up race. Jules does his burnout,.... no problems stages...no problems..... and then takes off.....His opponite has a .005 light, whomping it at the 8th mile not to break out, Jules has a .044 light runs it out the back door gaining ground at the stripe and runs a 5.229....Just missed as our opponite almost backed it up too much. So both crewcheif and driver learned a lot, not really a bad day when I think about it. We'll be ready for the new year, gotta work on our lights but I think that will come to us as Jules gets more comforable with his routine and can concentrate on the tree. We had the GoPro on the car but I forgot and left ii on after the time trial so the battery was pretty drained and it died on our elimination pass, below is a video of one of the failed time trials.

Aborted Time Trail....the long tow back into the pits
Gary LeBoeuf
LeBoeuf Motorsports
SC 4200,4300
poissant

Re: I sometimes feel like such a newb!!!! :)

Postby Pool Man » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am

A day at the track is still better than a day any place else. Join the club Gary. We have been learning things since we started running full size cars. We have learned a lot. But have a lot ,ore to learn. Glad to see you guys out at the track.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby TS403C » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Hey Gary I once had an issue that was very similar. And it would do only right after the burnout. It turned out to be the coil wire. Replaced that and never had that problem again.

It was frustrating to find also. Once towed back to the pits the car would fire on the first crank and you could drive it around until right after the burnout.
Harold Snyder
Austin, Texas
IHRA Top Sportsman #403C finished #4 in 2008 and
crew chief for my son's 7.90 car #4165
2011 IHRA JR Masters 7.90 Div.4 Champion
2013 SWJDS 12-17 Age Group Champion
TS403C

Postby poissant » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Harold thanks for the info just finished fighting an ignition problem which turned out to be a loose ground wire. I think this problem though was with my driver flooding out the car. I have watched him really get to pumping that gas peadle when the car doesn't just fire right off. Again I chalk it up to a leaning experience. But I promise you I will keep you advice and any others in mind as I go along. Hope all is well with the family.
Gary LeBoeuf
LeBoeuf Motorsports
SC 4200,4300
poissant

Postby jrdragsterdad » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:36 pm

May also check bands on tranny Gary our does that (roll back when bands need a little adjustment).
Roger Reed
Crew Chief
Super pro dragster 5089
SBC 364ci
www.juniorspecialties.com
www.pickensmetalworks.com
jrdragsterdad

Postby poissant » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Roger forgot to post that we adjusted the bands that day also. Thought it may have been that also. Didn't back out of the beams on the next pass after but we'll have to keep an eye on it once we get back out the in new year. Thanks
Gary LeBoeuf
LeBoeuf Motorsports
SC 4200,4300
poissant

Postby Pool Man » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:33 pm

You really should not have to adjust the band. It appears that you have a pressure problem. Have you test the transmission pressure at the servo cover?
Pool Man

Postby poissant » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:24 am

Well Ron not sure if the bands needed adjusting, it was just one of the things we checked. My tranny guy told me let me check to make sure the bands are adjusted correctly, so he did.
Gary LeBoeuf
LeBoeuf Motorsports
SC 4200,4300
poissant

Postby Pool Man » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:23 am

I understand. It is a quick easy fix sometime.
Pool Man

Return to Discussion Board