First race of the year!!!

General Discussion

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

First race of the year!!!

Postby poissant » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 am

Well our first race of the year was this past weekend, it felt great being back at the track. This was the first points race @ SCR. We primarily race at two tracks locally SCR(State Capitol Raceway) which runs there points races as 1/8 mile for Super Pro and NPR(No Problem Raceway) which runs their points races as 1/4 for Super Pro. Since we don't have a lot of seat time yet. We are gonna concentrate on the 1/8 miles races @ SCR in the early part of this year. Maybe it's the jr racer in me, but I feel more comfortable in the 1/8 mile format. As we get a better feel for the car and what we are doing, a little later we'll get in some 1/4 mile also. NPR is closer to us and a much better track but both tracks have great folks that frequent them. It was a beautiful day this past Saturday after having a good bit of rain the past few weeks, it was good to get out. The car ran great, no major problems. My youngest Jonathan and his gf Chloe joined us for the day and we had a ball. Time trials went well for us during the 2nd time trial there was a pretty major wreck that occured. One of the Quick 16 dragsters, flipped multipled times and tore up that car pretty good. The driver was bruised and beat up some, they brought him to the hospital to check him out. But I heard he was ok,....his car...not so much..... For us first round we managed to win, we dialed a 5.22 and paired up against another dragster dialed a 4.80. Jules said the guy caught him at about the 330 mark but then fell back and Jules took the win with a 5.24, to a 4.96 for the other dragster. Not sure what happened to the other car,if he pedaled which I presume as his mph was way off, he misjudged it by a bit. We saw him later in round 2 with the buy backs. Because of the delays 2nd round didn't run until it was getting dark and getting much cooler. We were in line to run, strapped in with 2 pairs in front of us. When one of the door cars blew out both their front tires on the top end and we had a delay while they got that car off the track. At this point is where the crewchief made a tactical error. After clearing the track. drivers were called back to the cars to strap in and suit up. It was really cool at this point and I should have had Jules start the car to warm it up while getting strapped in....but I didn't. We pulled into the water box did our burnout and then staged the car when Jules got on the transbrake and floored the pedal, the car just went womp and died on the line. Our opponite had a easy win, and we had a tow back to the trailer. I think what happened was the engine didn't have enough heat in it when all that fuel came into the carb, when Jules gave it full pedal it just couldn't burn the fuel and flooded. Another lesson learned the hard way. But overall we had a ball and are ready for the next race. Below are a couple of pics and a video for those interested. :)

Jules going warm up the car, Jonathan & Chloe supervising.

Jules vs Jesse Marceaux(another former Jr. racer)

Jules Time trial

Video of time trial.

Time trial
Gary LeBoeuf
LeBoeuf Motorsports
SC 4200,4300
poissant

Re: First race of the year!!!

Postby Pool Man » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:46 am

It is always easy to get caught up in just being a spectator instead of paying attention to detail. I find myself doing it all the time. Like jr's running a big car is about consistency. Doing the same thing over and over again. It will take you guys a little while to get in the full race mod. I try very hard not to get distracted once at the track. Oil downs, crashes and anything else that takes time to get going again are always distractions.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Re: First race of the year!!!

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Hey at least you are out there doing it. Sounds like you are getting a good start. Yep i would agree that you did not have enough heat in the motor. I do not stage it if i am below 180. that's just me. And i agree to let him get used to the car 1/8 th mile . I like 1/8th better any way. Hard to find 1/8 mile tracks up here. Easier on the car and less mph on the big end.Glad to hear you are out and having fun.
A misplaced parrothead who spent all his money on Drag Racing ,rum, and good cigars......
The rest I just wasted.
1967 Firebird ram air 400, 4 speed. A 42000 mile survivor.
Mark

Return to Discussion Board