1st time with our dragster and a few questions.

General Discussion

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

1st time with our dragster and a few questions.

Postby 03 busa » Tue May 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Got her new car out this past weekend and everything went really well. Shake down pass with another driver wide open 4.70 @ 146. Got it slowed down with different shift and launch chips and put it on the timer and half throttle. Slowed it to 5.70 at 118. WE feel this is perfect for her to get in and learn the car. I ran it a few passes in eliminations and now that we got a chance to get it out have really 2 questions. 1st is on one of my return road trips to the ticket booth I noticed the water temp starting to climb to around 210 on the gauge. We start at 150 and finish around 180. Most of the day I did not notice anything different except that one pass. I checked the water neck and the water was low about a qt low on water so possible water pocket?? Last I remember a few months ago before winter I had the water filled to the top of the water neck and haven't run the car since. Do these things normally use some water? We put 9 passes on the car on Saturday.

I am going to assume to bleed these things just open the petcock on the top of the radiator and fill the water neck till no air and all water.

My next question is on the brakes, is it ok to use both hand and foot brakes at the same time? Also, how hard can you stand on the brakes to slow down. Thanks for the help. Just trying to learn so I can be better prepared to teach my daughter once she starts driving this thing.
03 busa

Re: 1st time with our dragster and a few questions.

Postby Mark » Wed May 28, 2014 7:50 pm

I always stage at about 160 and end the run at 190-200 I never used the fan during the run just the pump,always switched the fan on after I turned off,210 is not all that uncommon. what are you doing as far as using the fan?
Also are you using an additive such as water wetter? or just water?
Also as far as standing on the brakes are we talking a hard tail dragster or suspension?
A misplaced parrothead who spent all his money on Drag Racing ,rum, and good cigars......
The rest I just wasted.
1967 Firebird ram air 400, 4 speed. A 42000 mile survivor.
Mark

Postby 03 busa » Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Mark, thanks for replying. I am sure just water as that is what the previous owner told us. WE ran both the fan and pump at all times during the run. And on the brakes it is a 4 link car with 2 sets of calipers hand brake and foot brake, separate brake systems.
03 busa

Postby Pool Man » Thu May 29, 2014 6:18 am

I would certainly use some type of lube in the water. Otherwise it is going to rust the inside of the block. I use just a touch of machine oil in our water. It keeps everything lubed pretty good and is made to mix with water.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby poissant » Thu May 29, 2014 9:32 am

We use a water wetter also. Agree with Mark that 200 at the end of the run would not be all that uncoomon. Any water going in the overflow tank? Not sure about your brake question as we don't have both hand and foot. I know I tell my boys just goood steady foot pressure on the brake after the run. Looks like you are running some 1/8 stuff should have plenty of room to easily slow her down.
Gary LeBoeuf
LeBoeuf Motorsports
SC 4200,4300
poissant

Postby 03 busa » Thu May 29, 2014 12:49 pm

Gary, no water in recovery tank. From the very top of the neck on the manifold was maybe a 1qt low. I am sure some of it just pushed out as I am finding out it should not be that full. Should leave a little for expansion.
03 busa

Postby poissant » Thu May 29, 2014 1:41 pm

I have made the mistake of overfilling hence my question about the overflow tank :) Let us know how it goes with your daughter.
Gary LeBoeuf
LeBoeuf Motorsports
SC 4200,4300
poissant

Postby Mark » Thu May 29, 2014 8:37 pm

I like the water wetter I buy at Advanced or auto zone the pink stuff. It helps prevent corrosion as well as lowering temps. A four link car, I do not think she can clamp down to hard on the brakes,It should stop just fine using the foot brake only.Steady pressure don't jab em but even if she does it ain't like a hard tail.She will be fine.
A misplaced parrothead who spent all his money on Drag Racing ,rum, and good cigars......
The rest I just wasted.
1967 Firebird ram air 400, 4 speed. A 42000 mile survivor.
Mark

Return to Discussion Board