MSD crank trigger

Technical Assistance for Super Pro and other non-junior related Drag Racing Classes

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

MSD crank trigger

Postby Mike Ganoe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:20 am

Hello,

Working on my daughter's footbrake car. Going to change over to MSD grid system and want to add crank trigger set up also. Measured balancer on motor (350 Chevy) at 6.5 inches. Only
crank trigger wheels I see are 6.25 inches or 7 inches. Which one do I need?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Ganoe

Re: MSD crank trigger

Postby Pool Man » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:00 pm

I would think you would need the larger diameter. The reason I say that is due to setting the pickup. It needs (IIRC) to be approx. .080 from the edge of the wheel. If you were to use the smaller wheel then you would not be able to set the proper distance due to it hitting the balancer before you get to the .080. Most I have seen however are just small amount larger if not the same size as the balancer. I see nothing wrong with using one larger.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby s10randy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:44 pm

I'm installing a crank trigger on my motor. I have 6.25" balancer with a aluminum alternator pulley of the same size , MSD engineer had me get the 7" wheel to move away from the pulley. Now do I have to put in spacer between the fly wheel and alternator pulley wheel? If so how much of a gap between the two?
s10randy

Postby Pool Man » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Crank trigger has nothing to do with the flywheel or the alternator. You should have all pulleys lined up to suit your belts no matter what you run. You may have to add or subtract shims to achieve alignment.
Pool Man

Postby s10randy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Oh yeah, not the flywheel on the rear of the motor. Someone I heard refer to the crank trigger wheel as the flywheel. Sorry that's what i mean. Just don't want the MSD crank trigger to pick-up false signal fron the pulley. We are getting close on getting it all to line up
s10randy

Postby Pool Man » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am

smiley-lol

You should not have to worry abt picking up signal from anything else because the sensor only picks up the magnets in the trigger wheel. It should not matter what size you use. I always used which one was closets to our trigger wheel. I love the crank trigger systems.
Pool Man

Postby s10randy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:22 pm

yeah ended up sending that pick-up wheel back to MSD . Got the 6.25" wheel for the balancer and buying a smaller pulley for the alternator . Ever thing is installed along with the Star Vacuum Pump system. And looking good.
s10randy

Return to Tech Talk