PowerGlide Questions

Technical Assistance for Super Pro and other non-junior related Drag Racing Classes

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

PowerGlide Questions

Postby Full Throttle » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm beggining to slide to the dark side as I've decided to put a Glide in my 68 Mustang. The thing is, I don't know a lot about these trannys. One of the first things that people modify is to switch the tranny to use a Turbo convertor, but how do I know if this tranny has had this modification done? Also, how do I go about modifing this tranny to a Turbo convertor if the mod hasn't been done?

Thanks,
Full Throttle

Postby ricky » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:03 pm

purty much jus change the n-put shaft
All racers are full of mud;but me and you;and I'm not so sure bout you.
ricky

Postby Kyle's Dad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:15 am

why the glide, having problems hooking?

If so my advice would be spend your time and $ on tuning the chassis/suspension.

For example, a very good friend of mine has been racing this '68 Mustang for about 40 years and it will hook in the rain. His engine iron headed 351 Cleveland, his trans...C4, his converter ATI 8" and his rear suspension Cal Tracs.

Kyle's Dad

Re: PowerGlide Questions

Postby Mike Halstead » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:01 am

Full Throttle wrote:I'm beggining to slide to the dark side as I've decided to put a Glide in my 68 Mustang. The thing is, I don't know a lot about these trannys. One of the first things that people modify is to switch the tranny to use a Turbo convertor, but how do I know if this tranny has had this modification done? Also, how do I go about modifing this tranny to a Turbo convertor if the mod hasn't been done?

Thanks,

I worked at Mikes Transmissions in Lancaster Ca for a long time. If you need help with a glide message me, I can talk you through what you may need.
Nitro Funny Cars Forever
Mike Halstead

Postby Pool Man » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:23 am

MIke, i have one for you. What would make the car roll forward going onto the transbrake?
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby Mike Halstead » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Pool Man wrote:MIke, i have one for you. What would make the car roll forward going onto the transbrake?

A few things could be at fault. #1 The rear piston inner seal could be hard and dry or chaffed. #2 To much reverse clutch pack clearance. #3 inproperly adjusted band or worn out band or if you have your trans brake silinoid shimmed to much, The pressure could be trying to push the rod out of the valve body.
Hope this helps
Nitro Funny Cars Forever
Mike Halstead

Postby ppm » Fri May 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Pool man, next time out before you apply the trans brake raise the RPM's
a few hundred then hit TB button and see what happens. Could be a pressure issue.
ppm

Postby Pool Man » Fri May 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Really have not had time to look at it. Brian has a pressure gage. WE just have not checked the pressure. Thanks for the ideas guy. They are appreciated.
Pool Man

Postby Mike Halstead » Fri May 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Mike Halstead wrote:
Pool Man wrote:MIke, i have one for you. What would make the car roll forward going onto the transbrake?

A few things could be at fault. #1 The rear piston inner seal could be hard and dry or chaffed. #2 To much reverse clutch pack clearance. #3 inproperly adjusted band or worn out band or if you have your trans brake silinoid shimmed to much, The pressure could be trying to push the rod out of the valve body.
Hope this helps

I also forgot to say that this happens with and with out pressure problems all the time. No one hear gave you nomanal values for pressures in gear as well, The pressure for like a street strip is no less than 180 lbs, Blown or high horse applications should be no less than 225 lbs in all gears. You will only get the pressure while in gear so when you start the engine and see no pressure, Don't pannic!!!
Nitro Funny Cars Forever
Mike Halstead

Postby Pool Man » Sat May 05, 2012 7:29 am

Yea i did know that you had to have it in gear in order to have pressure and that pressure had to be at least 225. Thanks for all the info.
Pool Man

Return to Tech Talk