BBC idle

Technical Assistance for Super Pro and other non-junior related Drag Racing Classes

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

BBC idle

Postby 03 busa » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:37 pm

BBC 632 will idle at 900 when 1st started cold and once it gets some heat in it will idle around 1800 and slightly lower in gear. Does this seem normal? I know that at 900 it is not happy but 1800 seems slightly high. Just don't want to generate more heat than I need to if idle is too high. Looking for opinions as this is our first attempt with a BBC.
03 busa

Postby Pool Man » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:45 am

It could be a vacuum leak. The throttle sticking just a bit (either the linkage, cable or the butter flies) I think we idle our 600 at around 1000 RPM.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby 03 busa » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks Ron, I will check some of those things you mentioned. I started cold this afternoon and was 800-900 cold and shaking around a bit and as it started to generate some heat it raised up to about 1400 till it ran out of fuel, LOL. Wanted to pick some up at the track last night but did not have 116 where we were. Oh well.
03 busa

Postby 03 busa » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Ron, any common areas to look for a vacuum leak? Not much to look at I guess carb and intake it self. The linkage looks good and the blades are closing without any issues.
03 busa

Postby Pool Man » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Any place from where the intake attaches to the head all the way to the carb.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Postby 03 busa » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Ron, here is the response from the previous owner regarding the idle. Let me know your thoughts.

Yes, I forgot that sometimes it takes a little bit to get the car started when its super cold. Make sure you give it a few full pumps on the gas, and run the fuel pump a few seconds before starting. You may have to give it a little gas as you hit the ignition as well. I usually have the RPM's around 1000-1100 when idling. They will be a little lower when its cold but once you get the heat in it they go up, which sometimes needs adjusting after the motor is good and warm depending on the air. Dad will make minor adjustments with a screwdriver, maybe a quarter turn on each side. It usually idles on the starting line at around 1500. Water temp at 150. Never had any problems with the carburator. Its a really good one. You just have to adjust it sometimes if the weather is either really good or really bad. Most of the year I never have to fool with it. But yes the car is sometimes a pain to start when its not been run in a long time or its really cold outside. Once you get it fired up turn on the fuel pump and water pump. Then keep your foot in the throttle for a couple minutes till the rpms stabilize. Then it should be fine.

Let me know if that helps. Every motor acts different but once you've done it a few times you will get the feel of it.
03 busa

Postby Steve from Pa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:14 pm

.....so you bought a turn key car with a 632 BBC and wondering what the idle rpm should be is that right?

Yes, I forgot that sometimes it takes a little bit to get the car started when its super cold. Make sure you give it a few full pumps on the gas, and run the fuel pump a few seconds before starting. You may have to give it a little gas as you hit the ignition as well. I usually have the RPM's around 1000-1100 when idling. They will be a little lower when its cold but once you get the heat in it they go up, which sometimes needs adjusting after the motor is good and warm depending on the air. Dad will make minor adjustments with a screwdriver, maybe a quarter turn on each side. It usually idles on the starting line at around 1500. Water temp at 150. Never had any problems with the carburator. Its a really good one. You just have to adjust it sometimes if the weather is either really good or really bad. Most of the year I never have to fool with it. But yes the car is sometimes a pain to start when its not been run in a long time or its really cold outside. Once you get it fired up turn on the fuel pump and water pump. Then keep your foot in the throttle for a couple minutes till the rpms stabilize. Then it should be fine.

you may just have to change the idle screw like the guy you bought it from said.
sportsmanship, fun, and family.....don't get any better than that.

check out the best kept secret in junior dragsters http://www.juniorspecialties.com/
Steve from Pa

Postby 03 busa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Steve, they are very nice people but not what I would say 100% mechanically inclined. I think they know enough to get them thru it but from what I have seen they paid someone else to wrench on the car. Some things I went thru on the car were sub par to what I am used too. I like things done right and very clean. The previous owners daughter is who I communicate with and she is young and I like to bounce some things she has mentioned too me off of others just to make sure. Not that I doubt her but with some other things I have seen I just feel more comfortable asking someone else.
03 busa

Re: BBC idle

Postby Steve from Pa » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:23 am

This question just seems very unusual to me, the question would lead me to think you or them, (you didn't mention you were working on some one elses car the first time) is / are a beginner.

Most beginners who don't know how to set the idle on a holley carb - should not be setting in anything with a 632"motor in it .....just my opinion
sportsmanship, fun, and family.....don't get any better than that.

check out the best kept secret in junior dragsters http://www.juniorspecialties.com/
Steve from Pa

Postby 03 busa » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Steve from Pa wrote:This question just seems very unusual to me, the question would lead me to think you or them, (you didn't mention you were working on some one elses car the first time) is / are a beginner.

Most beginners who don't know how to set the idle on a holley carb - should not be setting in anything with a 632"motor in it .....just my opinion

Steve, 2 things. We are beginners in a big car and 2 I know how to set the idle. The question was what should the idle be not how to set it. Not sure how it got turned into how to set idle question.
03 busa

Postby wagon wheel » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Boy people are always cuting up on people on this site hes probley just jelious you have 632 engine as for the idle with achool dragster I ran 1,600 to 1,800 seems like alot but engine loved it now with 600 plus cubes on race gas not sure 100% smiley-sunglasses
wagon wheel

Return to Tech Talk