Ford 9 inch Rear Axle Bearings

Technical Assistance for Super Pro and other non-junior related Drag Racing Classes

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Ford 9 inch Rear Axle Bearings

Postby SideWinder » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:15 pm

My dragster has a typical Ford 9 inch rear end. It is a "large bearing-old style" housing with 3.150 diameter bearings. The bearings have an o-ring around the outside of the bearing and the o-ring is off-set to one side of the bearing. My question is.... which side does the o-ring go to?
Towards the center section or towards the outside flange/wheel?

Thanks!!
Gus
3355/SideWinder
SideWinder

Postby 3dracing » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:34 pm

I will check but I think it goes outside.

Steve
*3dracing*
3dracing

Postby SideWinder » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:40 am

Steve

Thanks for checking.

At the end of last year we raced at a track where you have to make a very tight 180 degree turn at the end of the track. After returning to the pits, I noticed some fluid on the inside of the slick. It was leaking at the bearing but only if you turned it hard enough to slosh some lube into the end of the tube. I pulled the axles to check, expecting to find something wrong. What I found was the last time the bearing was install someone used silicone sealer around the bearing. I reinstalled the axle, again with some sealer and didn't have a problem the rest of the season. The bearing was installed on the axle with the o-ring towards the wheel. "Someone" told me that they thought the o-ring was supposed to be turned the other way, with the o-ring toward the center section of the of the rear end housing. They said that the end of the tube has a slight tapper and the o-ring will seal better if turned around. I've purchased a new rear brake kit and will be installing it next week. When I replace the bearings, I want to get them installed proberly and maybe stop the leaking!!

Again, thanks for the help.
Gus
3355/SideWinder
SideWinder

Postby drags3078 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:21 pm

it goes towards the outside ...... I haven't ever had to run the sealer on my stuff or customers cars , but they can leak so a small coat of silicone sure won't hurt
Living life one day at a time .... thankful for everything I have
drags3078

Postby 3dracing » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:08 am

We had one a while back that pick it's time to leak. A little sealer solved the problem.

Steve
*3dracing*
3dracing

Postby Steve from Pa » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:43 pm

I always added a little skim of silicone in the bearing housing even with the o-ring, also.
Steve
sportsmanship, fun, and family.....don't get any better than that.

check out the best kept secret in junior dragsters http://www.juniorspecialties.com/
Steve from Pa

Return to Tech Talk