Scoop trays & mounts

Technical Assistance for Super Pro and other non-junior related Drag Racing Classes

Moderators: WILD BILL, livewire, 2kidsracin, Pool Man, chili man

Scoop trays & mounts

Postby poissant » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:23 pm

Ok I decided I need to post these dumb questions in the tech sections instead of the normal discussion section. Who makes a good scoop tray kit for dragsters. I have looked at quite a few, S&W,Jegs,Goza,Summit,CSR. Seems like a pretty simple thing but are there any pros or cons to these? What about tray depth, I see flat trays, 3inch trays,4inch trays what's the difference? By the way we have a Harwood Tri-Comp II scoop see link below.. Also what are the "Morse cable kits I see some come with? ....Ok wnough dumb questions for today!

Harwood Scoop
Gary LeBoeuf
LeBoeuf Motorsports
SC 4200,4300
poissant

Postby Steve from Pa » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:57 pm

With that harwood and a BBC, I doubt you would need a very deep air pan. I'd look at a flat or a 3" at the most. It kind of depends on the motor height, intake, spacers, carb or injection height and the cage. I like to have the scoop inlet an inch or two higher than the cage. I had a "brushed" Jegs tray that was nice for the price. The Goza stuff is beautiful stuff though. I guess it's just a personal preference thing. I'd like the lower the better. The best thing about the deeper trays is they are easier to install a air filter.
Go to your local auto parts store and get a plane jane replacement air filter for I believe a early 90 corvette (take the tray along) if I got the year correct it will lay in there perfectly. On my old heap I lost no ET or Mph with that plane air filter, of course I wasn't going too fast. It does a great job of keeping junk like rocks from the car ahead of you in the burnout, out of the butterflies. smiley-laughing
The morse kit your probably seeing is that adjustable mount that bolts to the tray to hold the throttle or air cylinder. ................in outher words it holds the throttle cable.
Steve
sportsmanship, fun, and family.....don't get any better than that.

check out the best kept secret in junior dragsters http://www.juniorspecialties.com/
Steve from Pa

Postby 3dracing » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Steve is right about the Morse cable bracket and CSR makes a nice one. I like the Goza 3 inch tray and they make a nice dial board for the same tray. I run a K&N air filter that looks something like the Extreme Jr filter.

Steve
*3dracing*
3dracing

Postby Pool Man » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:53 pm

Gary, we run a 3" tray with Brian's dragster with the goza plate.
I deserve respect for the things that i DO NOT do.
Pool Man

Return to Tech Talk